Sunday, May 12, 2019

Moments with Dasettan during 1998 Houston Visit... Part 2




The Rare, Rapturous Moments of an Evening Spent With Dasettan


(Part 2)


Hari Kochat


Like the grandeur of the setting sun's luster at dusk, like any other time, the radiance was glowing on his face.  I felt my heart was like the devout who would be standing in front of the sanctum sanctorum with a throbbing heart for the doors to open, before the evening worship.  My heart was full of questions carefully kept from overflowing and for which I was eager to know the answers.  Whether the questions I chose to ask would be of interest to him, was my fear at first.  But slowly I felt his heart opening towards me.  I thought of the only divine name I utter when I get perplexed and looked at his face.  When the fingers caressing the beard moved away from his face, I could see a smile gleam over there.  I felt as if the doors of the sanctum sanctorum opened amidst the jingling sound of thousand bells!


With all humbleness I asked, "Dasettan from the time when the curtain of the musical stage is raised and till you take leave from the podium I feel that you strictly follow certain rituals (disciplines).  More than the rapturous melody of the music, I have always witnessed on the stage, an inexplicable brilliance (Tejus), which is not seen within any one else. Why is it so?"

I did think for a minute if there was enough ground for my question. But his mind was composed and it seemed he could read my mind.  I felt he was transforming himself as a teacher. He explained what is the bliss of music. With a smile, the cool soothing answer came this way; " Music is spiritual".

"The music that is accumulated within in me through n'number of births, is not created by me. That is God given. That is my life and my living. If the source of my music is from God, the listeners in front of me who are God's creation, are the precious treasures I receive as flowers of adoration. In my lawn if there are no listeners the rhythm, the melody in my music will be like the cactus in a desert. I adore my admirers with my heart. I concentrate my soul in front of my admirers. I even request them to clap. It's not to encourage me. The sound od clapping is like the jingling of bells. I t helps them to get engrossed along with me. It is the concentration of my mind, which encourages me to sing forgetting myself. I remember a story to explain this. 'Once a young man went to a saint and requested that he would like to adopt sainthood. As an answer to his pleading the saint advised him to sit under a Banian Tree nearby.


Though he did not understand the reason behind this, the youngster readily agreed. He thought it was to test him- to ensure that he can sit and meditate- so as told, he sat cross-legged under the tree. After a while he saw a young beautiful girl passing through that way. Some crazy thoughts flashed in his mind. To ensure that such an incident does not repeat, he tied his eyes with a piece of cloth. Next day again the girl came that way with the rhythmic sound of her anklets. His mind was again drifting to wild thoughts. To make sure that such sound does not disturb him again; he blocked his ears with cotton and continued to meditate. But next day his mind was getting restless as the time approached- he was wondering whether she would come again that day to see him!'

So that was the matter. In whichever way one may try to cover up outwardly if the inner mind can not be controlled and concentrated all the rituals will fail. Similarly there is one more important thing that I follow very carefully. I told you that my listeners sitting in front of me are very much adorable to me. I never sow my back towards them. There is a reason behind this practice. You see we never sit or stand turning our faces while praying in a temple or church. Like that one should never show one's back to the deity while walking out of the worship place, is one of my principles. I always tell these to my children also. Because music devoid of discipline is incomplete. 


If one is proud that one can sing anything, God will give back that person to day or tomorrow. Whatever big position or wealth I have today, was not brought, with me to this world, when I was born? The person who bestowed on me has every right to take them away any time. We should always remember that. The humbleness in the start should continue till end. By understanding others, not becoming a victim to selfishness, if you treat others properly, you will have good experiences. Their blessings will be always be with us".

Such valuable advises....! I shall always remember. Even today the sound is echoing in my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment