Sunday, May 12, 2019

Moments with Dasettan during 1998 during his Temple, Texas visit... Part 1



The Divine, Ecstatic, Excellent Moments of Experience with Dasettan


The music festival during the silver jubilee celebrations of Malayalam cinema conducted for days together at Thiruvananthapuram was an experience of unforgettable moments. The art lovers from various fields assembled there, returned with an experience of a lifetime; one song by Dasettan that especially shook every one, deserves a special mention: "Man created Religions, Religions created Gods"- the first film song which echoed above all, against religious snobbery. The significance of the song was its philosophical content. The song written by Vayalar, for the film "Achanum Bappayum" * was set to music by honorable Devarajan. Disgusted by the forceful thrust of political contempt through religion in the younger generation, when the heart broken down, it shook every one. He lost control and sobbed while he sang. That sob created waves in every hearts assembled there. After singing that song, he explained the reason for his uncontrolled feelings to the audience: "gentlemen, when Vayalar wrote these lines he would have foreseen that one day when generations pass, it would be like this. He did not write these lines for me or Devarajan or even just for you. You have all assembled here not because of your regard for religion. We artists, have no religion. Prose and poetry are beyond religion. So please do not look at this generation or even the next to come through the narrow eyes of the religion and trouble them. This is an earnest request from me".

After couple of days when I was spending an evening with Dasettan, we happened to discuss about the incidence. At that time I felt that, in his views Krishna, Jesus and Nabi - all appeared to be one. I inquired so that I could understand more, of what is hidden in that mind. "Dasetta, to the general opinion that you are born in one religion and you lived through another religion, what can be the explanation?"
With an unusual smile on his face he told me. "If God desired to create Man in different religions, that divine power could have created man in differences shapes. Why that was not done? Why all were created alike? Because, they should grow up as children of the same mother. Look at my own life. People talk according to their whims about me, of what I have not even thought of. From many corners, I happen to hear that I christened my son Vinu as Ayyappa Das. What benefit these people had by trying to say such things, which a father had not done, I don't understand. Similarly, that with my singing at the Sabari hills the sanctum doors opened! All mere gossips. What else to say! But it is true that I am a devotee of Ayyappa. There are many reasons for my heart to get drawn towards Ayyappa. I will tell you after we both have another cup of coffee". 


Dasettan continued after a short while of rest, "At Sabari hills I do not consider religion. I offer my soul to the Supreme Power. There is a greater search of self than of religions over there. This is what I am trying to say. While we are alive, people address me as "Yesudas" and you are called "Hari". But when we are dead and gone, we become just memories. Our 'body' transforms into a 'corpse' and the soul depart. I have felt this natural process happening there. The first step towards that, is the change in the way of addressing each other. Once we wear this string of beads 'Hari' does not call me and I don't call 'Hari'. With out any discrepancy to cast and community, with out any difference between rich and poor, every one addresses the other as "Ayyappa". Even if one is angry we only say, "What is this Ayyappa?" 

After wearing these beads it is a situation of detachment from worldly affairs. When we concentrate on the Supreme Power our names vanish. I have felt it, as a transition to unite with the Supreme Power. There is no duality. That attracted me a lot.

Having gone to Sabarimala for eighteen years and when he is unable to do the same since the last few years, the sorrow was very much evident in the tone when he explained. Except that he is born as a human being, his life is significant and filled with divine principles; while meditating through the medium of music, he attempts to discover the meaning for duality. I was finding it difficult to scale the depth of that heart which perhaps no one tried to observe or understand. When Dasettan brought me back to reality with a touch on my shoulder I had to return to this world, at least temporarily. 

Hari Kochat

No comments:

Post a Comment